Growing up, one of my favorite books was one called "Children Like Me." It was put out by UNICEF and it had different pages devoted to different children around the world. You learned about their life, where they live, their families and their hobbies. I would spend hours pouring over it, entranced by the different children's' home countries and cultures. I dreamed of far-off lands and people I longed to meet.
Thus began my early indoctrination into my wanderlust ways.
As I grew older, this love and curiosity about people and places grew into a healthy obsession with non-fiction books and magazines the likes of National Geographic. I was, at times, interested in the articles about animals and advances in technology. But what really captivated me were the stories about people. I have always loved learning, and the thing that always intrigued me most was learning about people, like myself, half a world away. I wondered what their daily life was like, and not from a voyeuristic standpoint- I wanted to experience life.
In the book "Children Like Me", there was a girl named Celina who lived in the Amazon region of Brazil.
I remember being entranced by her life and her story. Never could I have dreamed as a seven year-old, reading on my stomach on the brown shag carpet, that I would one day be able to visit (and live in!) the region she called home.
My life in Brazil thus far is an utter blessing. I work at UFPA (the Federal University of Para - Braganca campus). I team-teach with some wonderful people, and I am currently team teaching a course on Phonetics and Phonology, which I am so nerdily excited about it's sick. I have drafted a few ideas for mini-courses that I hope to be able to teach while I am here, and I am meeting with the Ministry of Health to begin working with organizations in the community that help combat child prostitution. I have lots of ideas, but need to know what framework is out there to begin implementing it. Basically, I am really itching to get going.
We are blessed with wonderful friends here as well. In Braganca, if you have a 5 minute conversation with someone, you basically have a new friend. You are invited over for dinner, to a party, to their aunt's house on the beach, etc. It is of my many perks of life in a small town - you may not have nightlife (or a lot to do, in general), but the people are warm and welcome you with (often literally) open arms.
Oh! And I have begun training for a half-marathon in Rio de Janeiro! Yay!
Fun facts about Braganca:
- While at the gym with a friend, Vladson, he asked what my usual work-out routine is. I said that I run, life weights etc. He said that women here basically just do exercises to make their butts bigger. When I told him, self-deprecatingly, that I had no problem in that area, I already had a huge one, he looked me square in the eye and said "Oh yes, they (the women) are very jealous of you." So, chalk one up for the big booty girls!
- At the university we have large, beefy security guards with large, intimidating guns. Their job is to turn on the air conditioning. Literally.
- I never thought that it would happen, but the other day, I was actually cold. It was probably 78 degrees.
- Houses and apartments here come, for the most part, unfurnished. And by unfurnished, I mean, you don't have a fridge, a stove, or a toilet seat. But fear not! Casually mention to your friends that you are lacking said things, and within a month it will all be donated to you from friends of friends of people you just met. The unbelievable kindness of strangers.
I feel so lucky to have been given this amazing opportunity. From my early interests to present work, I have always felt this quote to be very true and special to my heart:
"Grownups have this strange way of putting themselves in compartments and groups. They build up barriers... of religion, of chaste, of color, of party, of nation, of province, of language, of custom, and of wealth and poverty. Thus, they live in prisons of their own making."
- Jawaharlal Nehru


No comments:
Post a Comment